This week’s T5W is a fun one: Favorite First Sentences!
1. “Ships at a distance have every man’s wish on board.” – Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston – I think this is such a beautifully written line.
2. “I’m pretty much fucked.” – The Martian by Andy Weir – Give this a read if you haven’t already (the movie is good too!)
3. “The Grandmother didn’t want to go to Florida.” – A Good Man is Hard to Find by Flanner O’Conner – I know a lot of people don’t care for them, but I love short stories. And Flannery O’Conner writes a mean one. Grandmother definitely should have avoided the trip to Florida.
4. “If I have learned anything in this long life of mine, it is this: In love we find out who we want to be; in war we find out who we are.” – The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. I’m about halfway through this book and I’m really enjoying it!
5. “Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.” – Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling – The first line of my favorite series.
Those are some of my favorites – what are yours?